Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam


My parent's rhubarb plant is thriving this spring and so they gave me a cooler full of this fruit. (I think it's a fruit anyway).
Since my jelly supply from last summer has been completely depleted, I decided that jam was my first item that I would make.
I had this recipe tucked into my recipe box and thought I would try it.
I really like how there are still chunks of fruit in the finished jam. The strawberry flavor really complements the rhubarb.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam
4 cups strawberries, washed, stemmed and crushed
2 cups chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 pkg. powdered pectin
5 1/2 cups sugar
In a large saucepan, combine first four ingredients. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add sugar and return to a rolling boil. Boil hard one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim foam if necessary. Pour into sterilized jars. Seal in a hot water bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment