Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bacon-Cornbread Stuffing


I've never made homemade stuffing before (I'm a Stove Top kind of gal) but thought I would try to make some for Thankgiving.  When I saw this recipe in the November 2012 Everyday Food magazine I thought I would try it.  After all, who doesn't like bacon!
 
Bacon-Cornbread Stuffing
serves 8
1 pan cornbread (8" square) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
8 slices white sandwich bread (I used the multigrain I had on hand)
4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small yellow onion, diced small
2 stalks celery, diced medium
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped sage leaves
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spread cornbread and bread onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake until dry and golden, about 15 minutes.  Meanwhile in a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about five minutes.  Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook about four minutes.  Stir in sage and transfer to a large bowl.
 
Add cornbread, bread, eggs, broth, parsley, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Toss until combined.  Let sit five minutes, then toss again.  Put in casserole dish and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment