Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Warm Peach French Toast Bake















This week I decided to try a new breakfast bake recipe.  When I saw it in a USA Weekend, I thought it seemed a little like the peachy french toast that my mom makes.  But not quite as sweet.  Whereas my mom's peachy french toast is my sister's favorite breakfast, I think it's a little too sweet.  

We all thought that this tasted really good.  In fact, I'm happy that there are some leftovers in the fridge because I think a piece warmed up tomorrow sounds great!

Warm Peach French Toast Bake
by Ellie Krieger, found in USA Weekend, July 20-22, 2012

1 large whole-wheat baguette (I used white because it was all I could find)
4 eggs
4 egg whites
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups frozen, unsweetened peaches (or you can use fresh)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Cut the baguette into half-inch-thick slices and arrange them in a single layer in the pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, and vanilla.  Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan.  Scatter the peach slices evenly over the bread.  Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. 
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Uncover and bake until slightly puffed and golden, about 40 minutes.  Serve with plain non-fat yogurt and/or syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment