Monday, May 23, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

Since our kitchen remodel is nearly done, I thought it was time that I start cooking actual meals for the family again. I decided that nice Saturday breakfast would start the weekend off right.
I saw this recipe in one of my mom's cookbooks. Since we LOVE oatmeal, I thought I would give it a try. It was simple to put together and we all liked it. Caroline even asked for more. I'm looking forward to leftovers tomorrow morning with a little fresh fruit with it.
Baked Oatmeal
1 3/4 cup water
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup oatmeal
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used about half of this, and it was still plenty sweet)
Preheat oven to 350.
Boil water and 1/8 tsp salt. Stir in oats and cook for five minutes. Set aside. (The cookbook mentioned that this could be done a day in advance.)
Beat together eggs and milk. Stir in cinnamon, baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and brown sugar. Stir in oatmeal mixture. Put in a sprayed casserole dish (I used a 9" square pan). Bake 30-40 minutes. Serve with milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment