Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Duchess Potatoes

My last Easter recipe that I'm going to share is a potato recipe.


I've never made homemade mashed potatoes before. I'm an instant-potato girl. (I know!!) Anyway, I saw a picture of Duchess Potatoes in my new Cooks Country cookbook. Which by the way, I could have a post just on how awesome of a cookbook this is. Anyway, the photo of the potatoes looked festive - perfect for a holiday. As I was mixing them up I was a little nervous. Were they going to be good? Yes, yes yes! They looked great and tasted fantastic. The original recipe serves 8, so I had to triple it. But they were very easy to make (I even did it the night before and put them in the fridge until ready to bake and serve)!


Duchess Potatoes
found in Cooks Country
3 lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed
1 cup heavy cream
6 Tablespoons butter, cut in 1/4 inch cubes and softened
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Prick potatoes all over with fork, place on plate and microwave until tender, 18-25 minutes.

2. Cut potatoes in half. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh into large bowl and mash until no lumps remain. Add cream, 3 T butter, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and baking powder and continue to mash until potatoes are smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Gently fold in remaining butter until pieces are evenly distributed.

3. Transfer potato mixture into piping bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip. Pipe 8 4-inch-wide mounds of potato on rimmed baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment