Saturday, February 11, 2012

Apple-Cinnamon Streusel Bars


Here's a sweet treat that I made recently. I love anything with a streusal top, so when I saw this recipe, I knew I'd have to try it. I really like the texture of the bar, but it doesn't have a very strong apple flavor. If I were to make it again I would add either some fresh chopped apple or applesauce to the recipe.

Apple-Cinnamon Streusal Bars
found in the 2011 Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookie magazine
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup chopped dried apples
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
3-4 tsp milk

Preheat oven to 350.
To make crust: stir together flour, oats, granulated sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, and ginger. Cut in butter until it makes coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of crumb mixture. Press the rest into a 9x13 pan.
To make filling: beat cream cheese, apples, walnuts, sweetened condensed milk, maple syrup, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Beat until well combined. Spread evenly over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb topping.
Make for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely.
To make icing: stir together powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over uncut bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment