Thursday, November 25, 2010

Garlicky Cranberry Chutney


I had seen my cousin Tracy's recipe for Thanksgiving Garlicky Cranberry Chutney in my family's cookbook. Now, I'm usually okay with a can of cranberries for my holiday meal. But I am so glad I made this! It's sweet, tangy, with just a little zip - perfect for any holiday meal. And it's amazing on leftover turkey sandwiches. Needless to say, I'm excited to make it again for Christmas!

Thanksgiving Garlicky Cranberry Chutney
by Tracy Jones
1 inch fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can cranberry sauce (with berries)
1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper

Cut ginger into paper thin slices. Stack together and cut into thin slivers. Combine ginger, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and cayenne in sauce pan. Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes or until there is about 4 tablespoons of liquid left. Add cranberries, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Note: This is great to make the day ahead of Thanksgiving because it does NOT smell like part of a delicious thanksgiving turkey dinner. However, it is fantastic with turkey and with leftovers and turkey sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment