Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Turkey Stuffed Peppers



It's been a while since I've posted a new recipe. I saw this in the September All You magazine and thought it was worth a try. I love using my crock pot and haven't seen a recipe like this. It was simple to put together. Nate and I loved the spicy turkey flavor with the green pepper. Caroline thought it was too spicy. I might try it next time with hamburger instead to see if she likes it better.

Turkey Stuffed Peppers

1 lb Italian turkey sausage
1 cup uncooked rice (I used brown)
8 oz mozzarella cheese (I used a handful)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
6 bell peppers, tops removed, hollowed
1 32-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I omitted)

I a bowl combine sausage, rice, mozzarella, and basil. Spoon mixture into peppers, filling each one about 3/4 full. Place peppers in slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over peppers. Pour broth around sides of peppers.
Cover and cook only until peppers are softened, rice is tender, and filling is cooked through (5-6 hours). Sprinkle peppers with Parmesan and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment