Sunday, May 31, 2009

Texas Chicken Quesadillas

A few weeks ago I saw this on the blog Cooking This and That. I thought not only did it look easy, but also delicious. I was right on both! It was a snap to prepare and Nate and I loved them. Nate liked them so much that after one bite he declared them a winner! A side note: I didn't use nearly as much cheese as the recipe calls for and it didn't take nearly as long for the onions to fully caramelize. I didn't take a photo of the finished product, since the top of a flour tortilla doesn't scream "Wow!", but trust me, they're great!

Texas Chicken Quesadillas
slightly adapted from Jenn and Food, Perfect Together
Makes 4 large servings
2 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil)
1 1/2 sweet onions (vidalia is preferred), sliced into rings
1 tablespoon honey
2 cooked chicken breasts (about 1 pound), diced
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (my fave is Sweet Baby Ray's)
1-2 cups shredded mexican or cheddar cheese
8 ten-inch flour tortillas (medium-size)
Heat one tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until they just become golden and begin to get soft. Turn heat to medium and continue cooking until they caramelize (about 20-30 minutes). Mix in the honey and stir until it is golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Place the remaining oil (if necessary)in the same skillet and add the chicken and BBQ sauce. Cook until heated through.
Lay out 4 tortillas. Divide the chicken, onions and cheese evenly onto each tortilla, top with another tortilla and cook in your quesadilla maker about 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook them in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment